Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:02 pm Categories:

This is the last week that qualifying North Dakotans will receive the extra Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation benefit payments. The short-term federal help has allowed Americans impacted by layoffs and the economic slowdown to pay their rent and other bills and to buy needed goods and services.

As these extra payments end, the North Dakota Department of Human Services is reminding state residents that if they are struggling to pay their rent, help is available through the Emergency Rent Bridge, which offers short-term rent assistance for qualifying renters. 

Since it was launched in late May, the Emergency Rent Bridge has helped over 300 separate renters in 15 counties stay current on their rent and avoid eviction. Individuals who are renting their place of residence, whether it is an apartment, a house, or a manufactured/mobile home that requires payment of lot rent, can apply.

It pays a portion of a participating household’s rent. Payments are made directly to housing providers who must register with the program.

To qualify, a household’s income must be at or below 60 percent of the area median income adjusted for household size and county of residence. Participating households are responsible for paying 30 percent of their total monthly income towards their housing costs.

Renters can learn more and apply online on the department’s website at www.nd.gov/dhs/info/covid-19/rent-bridge.html or by contacting 701-328-1907 or dhserb@nd.gov.

The department’s Emergency Rent Bridge team can also assist renters who need help submitting needed documents electronically.

Housing providers can find information about how to register and validate rent amounts for participating renters on the same webpage.   

Funding for the Emergency Rent Bridge comes from federal funding resources provided to North Dakota to address pandemic-related needs.

Other Human Services COVID-19-related information and resources are online at www.nd.gov/dhs/info/covid-19/index.html. For all state resources, visit NDResponse.nd.gov.