While some offers of assistance are legitimate, many are not. Some red flags include:
- Guarantees that a business can stop a foreclosure or eviction, regardless of circumstances.
- Asking for payment before any services are performed.
- Instructions to make mortgage or rent payment to someone else, not to your loan servicer or landlord.
- Asking you to sign incomplete or blank paperwork or pressuring you to sign a document you have not had time to read thoroughly.
- Do not respond to emails, texts or social media notifications that you can receive or are qualified for assistance. Call your mortgage servicer or landlord to discuss your situation.
Additional information can be found on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website.